Saturday, July 2, 2011

Frosty Delights and Father's Day

Steve and I have been looking for one of these gadgets for a while now.



We love homemade ice cream and have an older ice cream maker from our wedding which we have used alot. But these days, doing the whole ice and rock salt routine isn't on my list of priorities. Doubtless my father will probably shake his head at his progressive daughter. Dad always insisted that making ice cream the old fashioned way was the only way to do it (we had an old hand-crank ice cream maker as kids) And it's true, it did add to the experience and the anticipation- we cranked and cranked with our wimpy little girl arms until we were exhausted and then dad took over with his big brawny ones. The resulting dessert was certainly more appreciated after all that work.

However, the problem we have down south is that cranking ice cream outside in 100 degree heat with sweat pouring down your back loses some of its charm.

So for Father's day, as I was wandering through Costco, they had these on special, and I also had a coupon. I figured it was a sign. I bought it and we are loving it. In honor of my dad, we made the best ice cream recipe in the world for Father's day- chocolate-chocolate malt with Baileys Irish cream. Dad taught me to make it years ago, and we haven't found a recipe yet to top it.

Of course I can't splurge every day on an ice cream recipe full of egg yolks, fine chocolate and cream, so we have been making sorbets, frozen yogurt for the kids and our latest favorite, strawberry daquiris and slushy margaritas.


And it is soo easy- just keep the bowl in the freezer, and you are always ready to churn out a treat at the push of a button. No, this is not a paid advertisement, but if you don't have one, I would highly recommend it. Here's to keeping cool!

3 comments:

emilie said...

Hey Nicky, my mom got me one of these keep-the-bowl-in-the-freezer ice cream makers for my birthday a couple years ago and I love it! I want to try your dad's chocolate chocolate-malt bailey's ice cream recipe. Will you post it or is it top secret?

Thanks :)
Love, Em

Erika said...

Mmmmmm.

Dolly said...

So glad you posted this! Moriah told me about that ice cream on Father's Day and I have been meaning to ask you for the recipe too. Sounds soooo good. We have one almost exactly like yours and I need a good excuse to use it more often.