Saturday, June 25, 2011

In love with zinnias

Yes, I am posting about my garden again, but hey- it is what I have going on in my life right now, other than potty training, and who wants to hear more yucky stories?(not me for one).
We started picking cucumbers this week- so far we have picked five, and there are about eighty-two more on the vine. Looks like I need to learn how to pickle.
The butternut squash plants have decided that the yard is not big enough and are making a run for the street.


I guess we won't even need to set up a roadside stand- people can just pick a few up as they walk to work.

My Zinnias have been the biggest pleasant surprise for me this year. I wasn't planning on planting them- I was looking for something more like a daisy, but couldn't find any on the little spinny rack thing in the store and zinnias looked sort of like them, so I grabbed a pack and threw them in the ground. Steve and I have been amazed at the variety and color of these flowers- they were not a flower my mom ever planted (that I remember) so they seem new to me.



Every day we bring in another one that we decide is our favorite. And they are so bright and cheerful. I love how God can make colors so bright without being too loud and tacky. If someone tried to to combine a similar group of colors in something man made, it would only look garish. And they are a great cutting flower. They last almost two weeks in a vase without wilting.

I also cracked up when the boys brought this bouquet to me today- two of them in their undies- one completely naked. That is also what I have going on in my life right now.

So all in all, the dandelions were sweet,

But I like zinnias better(and they make a handy cover-up too)

4 comments:

Christopher and Jackie said...

Just a correction--Mom did have Zinnias at 60th street. From what I remember, though, they were just orange--I don't remember colors like those!
Thanks for writing! It's always a treat to read your posts.
Love to you all.
Jack

Anonymous said...

I thought those were Marigolds? Perhaps I am mistaken though. =}

Erika said...

So pretty! Looks like I need to see if we can grow those here. I love having cutting flowers.

Dolly said...

I love the underware and the flowery cover up.
I met your mom yesterday!