Thursday, July 28, 2011

Floods and Forgetfulness

"Hey mom," Etienne whispered in my ear as I was nursing the baby. "James doesn't want me to tell you this, but there is a flood in the bathroom."
"What buddy?" I reply distractedly.
(A little more loudly) "I am not supposed to tell you that there is a flood in the bathroom."
"A flood?! James? What's going on son?"

Silence from the bathroom region of the house.
I hear no water, I see no water, so I don't feel there is a dire emergency and consequently get sidetracked and forget all about it.

Later, as I encounter a soaking wet mountain on top of the washer, consisting of every rag and towel in the house, I remember Etienne's words. I open the bathroom door, dreading to find the aforementioned flood and am confronted with a spotlessly clean and dry chamber. I consider accosting James with a crime, but then realize that even if he did spill water, he knew he had made a mistake and cleaned it all up. Why drag up the issue? Frankly, I was rejoiced to see what a thorough clean up he had done- minus washing every towel and rag he had used to do it. I started the laundry and went merrily on my way, thinking of how much James was growing up, and how much progress he had made. I even praised him to Steve that night when he got home.

Imagine my chagrin then, when it was time to go to bed. I pulled open the right drawer of my bathroom cabinet, searching for my glasses when my legs were promptly deluged with a wave of water from said drawer. The entire thing was full of H2O and everything in it, swimming.





After staring confusedly at the drawer for a moment, I remembered the flood I thought had been cleaned up. I just had to laugh, and started removing everything from the drawer to the counter top to dry. I left the drawer upside down to drip in the tub and went to bed, thinking that perhaps we still had a little more progress to make with James, ie. checking more thoroughly to make sure a job was done.
The next morning, I went into the bathroom and noticed there was a lot more stuff drying on the counter top than I remembered setting out the night before. I couldn't figure it out until I realized the second drawer of the cabinet was also drip-drying in the tub. Steve confessed to having had a similar bedtime experience, only with the second drawer. I hadn't even thought to check that one.
So all my projected lectures to James on being more thorough were starting to sound pretty feeble. To top it all, when I opened the washer a few minutes later, I discovered I had forgotten to put all the rags and towels in the drier. The resulting mildewy mess had to be washed all over again. Think I should give the kid a break? Perhaps he comes by it naturally.

3 comments:

Erika said...

But how was there a flood?! Where did all of that water come from?

Nicole Lewin said...

He let the sink overflow.

Anonymous said...

We had a flood once in the bathroom sink. The first signs of it were when a deluge came upon me while switching out the laundry in the basement. I went up to find the sink just running and no one there. The water that poured on me was coming through the floor heat register. We ALL helped clean that one up!
I love the picture of Etienne whispering in your ear while nursing. So Funny!