Monday, July 11, 2011

How did we get here?

I have always loved baking. Well, since I was about thirteen anyway and made my first apple pie without removing the peels from the apples- you can imagine how good that was. But my sisters and parents were always pretty good about eating the creations I was constantly concocting.

When I got married I thought I would be baking even more, but found out that baking didn't pay. A few slices of homemade bread were eaten the day it was baked and the rest sat to mold on the counter. Cookies got stale in ziploc bags, leftover biscuits and scones went to the dog. Let's face it- homebaked goods without chemicals added just don't taste good the next day. It also didn't help that my husband carried around in his tastebuds the memory of the corner boulangeries of France. How was I supposed to compete with that?

Things have changed around here though. Saturday morning I thought I would try a new blueberry muffin recipe I had discovered. I made a big batch, thinking the boys could snack on the leftovers throughout the day or maybe I could freeze them for later. We sat down and I ate my muffin, but was interupted by the baby and left the table. When I came back, it was to this-






23 muffins gone in about five minutes, and one half-munched one left for mommy to enjoy with her reheated coffee.

People keep telling me how fortunate I am to have all boys since I won't have to pay for any weddings, but I am afraid my grocery bills are going to outweigh any savings we might have in the wedding department. But hey- at least I can start baking again with no fear of waste!

3 comments:

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

that's funny cuz Drew is the one who eats ALL ours LOL

Erika said...

Hahaha. Oh man. I am just waiting for that stage, it's always hard to get him to stop playing to eat!

Hannah G said...

Wow. That is impressive! I'm still waiting for this stage of food consumption to arrive. You'd think that, with five boys and two adults, our family would polish off a pan of those in one sitting too, but no. I have two boys who live on nothing but air and sunlight and a husband who's hypoglycemic and can't eat more than one without suffering withdrawals from the sugar rush. The benefit and drawback of this situation is that I'm the one who usually eats the leftovers...