Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The house of never ending rubble

I have been meaning to post some pictures of our new house up here for a while, but have been too busy working on said house to do it. The same holds for today. I thought I would give a little update though.
Since classes are finished for the year, I thought I would take a little more of an interest in this mammoth demolition ground I hope someday to call home. Well, interested is an understatement. I may be crazy, but the whole pregnancy/nesting thing, combined with a home I am hoping to get into before this baby comes, brings out the Rosie the Riveter in me. I have been coming home every day covered from head to toe in black dust with swollen ankles and a sore back, telling myself I won't go back tomorrow, but I do.
Steve gave me the job of getting everything ready for insulation and sheetrock, which means pulling every old rusty nail out of the walls (and ten foot ceilings, on a ladder), digging old plaster out of every crack and cranny and vacuuming every orifice, floor to ceiling, with the shop vac.(Who knew how messy dozens of old pigeons nests stuffed in the rafters could be?) It has taken me nearly three weeks to do that one simple job. Well, along with it, i decided to tear all the old plaster off the two enormous fireplaces downstairs to expose the old brick. then I noticed a lot of rubble coming out of the chimney. I looked up the chimneys, and noticed all the rubble that was blocking them, so all of that had to come out. Then I noticed a hole at the back of each chimney, which turned out to be old coal chutes, filled from the first floor to the basement with old, old coal. No diamonds though. Out that had to come too (thank goodness for the wonders of the shop vac. Oh, and face masks, without which I would probably have the black lung by now)
I have gotten the house to the point where my children can run around without getting all dirty, or falling down holes, which is a huge step. Last night I was sitting on the stairs with the setting sun coming through the windows and looking around at the huge expanse of this old house, and could envision that it might be quite a nice thing to live there- it might even be worth the toil.

4 comments:

Kjerste said...

Thanks for the fun update! Can't wait to see pictures!

Erika said...

Um, where are pictures?? I want pictures. I guess that Adam and I didn't do a very good job of vacuuming, because I think Steve once gave us that job.

Oh, and you're crazy for doing all of that with Number 3ster coming.

See you soon!

Bryonie said...

Hey, your hubby is staying with us tonight - wish you were here too.

Christopher and Jackie said...

Christopher wanted to make sure you were wearing a REALLY good dust mask. Something about anthracosis... or was it pneumoconiosis?