Thursday, June 12, 2008

In the Land of Lightning

So summer in the South is a little different from where I grew up. Most people who know me know how much I hate humidity and the general jungly stickiness of summer down here, but I do enjoy two things that we never had growing up in balmy Washington: lightning storms and lightning bugs.
The other night, James and I sat outside and watched the almost daily thunder storm rolling in and chased lightning bugs. They really are great bugs to chase because they don't bite or sting, they are extremely slow, and they give a great little light show. James even caught a few, although I am not sure they survived the encounter. Unfortunately, neither lightning, nor lightning bugs photograph very well, so just use your imagination in the following pics.
Amongst other things, I am all alone this weekend. Steve is driving down to join the festivities at the Rayburn/Bean wedding in Orlando while I melt at home. I am trying not to be jealous or discontent. And to be fair to him, he never would have gone if Mrs. Colin Schmidt had not needed someone to help her drive down, sooo.... I am blogging while my kids run around screaming and fighting, which they do a lot of these days.
Steve and I were at the new house till midnight the last couple of nights, plugging away at plumbing. It works kind of like this:
"Hey Nick, can you run upstairs and grab the sawsall? I need a three foot piece of inch and a half pipe and a two inch, 90 degree elbow with coupling."
I shuffle upstairs for the desired effects, hand them over, and then sit in my lawn chair with my feet up, watching him construct a large plumbing puzzle until the next piece has to be put in. It works pretty well, but man, there is a lot of plumbing in this house. I mean he is the one who wanted four bathrooms. But I am not complaining.
Well, I suppose I should come up with some sort of plan for the weekend so, signing off.





3 comments:

Leanne said...

I am afraid I have given my husband over to help my dad with a roof this weekend, so I am with you. Too bad we live across the country from each other. Hope you can stay cool and patient with your two boys.

Christopher and Jackie said...

That last picture of James makes it look like he swallowed a lightening bug!

brite said...

I love that last picture of James- he looks so OLD! :)