Monday, June 6, 2011

James

My oldest turned six over the weekend. Six feels to me like over the hill for childhood. We are definitely out of babyhood and firsts- no more first steps, or first bike rides, or first girlfriends- wait, I guess we aren't quite done with all of the firsts. But it feels like it sometimes. He even finished his first year of school last week! How on earth did that happen? How do I now have a boy who asks if I can leave the light on a little longer at bedtime to finish a book that he is reading?

We had a fun little party- pirate themed, per latest obsession, with three of his favorite people over to play for the day (handily enough, they are all from the same family :)

We had a very short water fight and tons of time on the slip and slide, since it was ninety-five degrees out.






We had a pirate-ship cake (I went a little overboard on the cake this year, pun intended) and made homemade ice cream.


Then we played for hours with the pirate ship grandma gave him, with cannons that really fire plastic cannon balls- what more could you ask for?

Happy birthday James, my first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you James. Happy Birthday!
Uncle Kent, Aunt Bree, Eli, Gid, Moriah, Joey, Zeke & Naomi

Erika said...

Yikes. I feel ancient. I feel a very special connection to James, and sadly I doubt he will ever remember our fun days of playing.

Happy sixth Birthday!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Andy tried to comment on this the other day and it didn't go through - which was good for me because he was pretending to BE me.

Thanks for having them! I know they had fun - Happy Birthday James!