Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And to think I was worried....

...that our garden wouldn't grow.

Remember this?

And this?


Give it a few months, some humid weather and a lot of sun and you get this



Boy Howdy, has this been a learning experience.
Lesson # 1
Basil thrives in pots, not so much in the garden proper.
(I have four more pots of this- pesto anyone?)


Lesson # 2
Sunflowers really do get to be twelve feet tall



Lesson # 3
Never, ever underestimate the growing power of squash and tomatoes. I think we are going to need to open up a roadside stand.




Lesson # 4
Always plant some flowers along with the vegetables- there is nothing like the joy of seeing your own flowers bloom and filling vases with them.




All in all, we have had a blast doing this- the peas and beans have already been harvested, and we are looking forward to the first tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and squash. Gardening also gets you to try new veggies that you never thought you would eat. Who knew turnip greens could be so good? (well, simmered in cream and bacon anyway)
It is a lot of work, but the rewards are so great- such a sense of accomplishment and all the wonder that comes from watching a tiny seed explode with so much life. And now, does anyone know what to do with spaghetti squash?

6 comments:

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

well you just went to town now didn't you?! LOL!

I'll take some basil!

Dolly said...

Looks awesome!! We love to use spaghetti squash in place of the pasta. Its not quite the same texture, but put enough sauce and cheese and nobody in my family seems to care.

Erika said...

Whoa! Our growing season is a lot behind...long cold spring. can't wait to get some produce. Good work! I hope you can keep it up, I love gardening.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh! I should send you some picks of our sad garden. I am hoping that my corn will be kankle high by the 4th of July!

Hannah G said...

I'm thinking what Bree's thinking. You should see our pathetic basil. It's been "growing" for a month, and it's still the size of the nail on my pinkie finger. This sad quote-unquote summer has almost made me want to move back to Dallas! Your garden is gorgeous. Enjoy!

diber said...

I love spaghetti squash!!! I eat it with butter, salt and pepper. Maybe some bacon thrown in.

With my CSA I've gotten every kind of green imaginable. Goodness, I've even eaten radish greens. Sauteed in olive oil and garlic--when in doubt, my go-to for all greens.

Your garden is awesome! I'm super impressed!!!