Monday, September 8, 2008

Heads Up

Thanks for all your prayers etc., but this baby is coming out backwards. Well, actually I don't really know what side they come out in a c-section, but at this point, barring a miracle leap, I am going to find out.
This is not the way I had hoped this little guy would enter the world, but option B was a complete failure, as option A has been the last couple of days. I really did hang upside down on an ironing board several times with a bag of frozen peas stuck on my stomach.
The external version was, much to my chagrin, an extremely painful process. They gave me medicine to relax my uterus, which made my heart race at 120 beats per minute for over two hours. I wasn't allowed to eat all day just in case I needed an emergency c section, so when they took a bunch of blood, I nearly passed out. Oh, and also they gave me a wonderful IV port for no reason other than I might need it for an emergency c-section.
Then the real fun began. It was a doctor and a nurse shoving, pushing, pulling for over an hour until my body now feels completely bruised and swollen. The pain was so bad that I was ready to throw up several times and they called a nurse in to hold one of those useless tiny little puke buckets next to me. Thankfully I held it in. They managed to move his head from one side of my stomach to the other, but couldn't budge his butt from my pelvic region. The things we go through to bring a baby into this world. After literally wiping the sweat from his brow, the doctor told me that this little man needed a good spanking as soon as he entered the world and then calmly asked when I wanted to schedule the surgery.
So that is where we are at right now. Apparently, doctors just don't do breech births vaginally anymore. I am going to try and fight it, but no one wants to deal with the potential lawsuits.
We are praying on, that he may just head south for the winter at the last minute. If not, I enter the realm of c -sections.

6 comments:

Dolly said...

Oh so sorry things did not go as planned. I had no idea that procedure was so awful! Sounds like the C-section will be a piece of cake after that?

Rebecca said...

Youch. That sounds unpleasant. :( My midwife will do breech births, but only at home- not in hospital. However, when my own babe was breech I hung upside-down, I had the chiropractic Webster's technique done twice, and had a Maya Abdominal Massage and he turned. http://www.spinningbabies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=29
I especially recommend at least trying the Chiro Webster Technique. You just have to find a Chiro who is certified in that (of course) which isn't that hard. My midwife did the abdominal massage which really relaxed all my muscles/ligaments in that area and pulled the baby out of my pelvis which definitely aided in his flip. Anyway, I hope something might help and that your kiddo might head south! Good luck!

diber said...

Oh how awful!!! I think I had that medication when I had hours of nonprogressive contractions 3-5 mins apart at 34 wks. Groan.

Turn, baby, turn!!!

Darcee said...

Did you mean for that title to be so ambiguous? Just curious. We are praying for you!

Erika said...

I hope Kingsford turns around! It would just be a lot easier if I could come grab the other boys and have a Walmart day or something.
But with what we got, our prayers are sending your way.

Bryonie said...

Yikes - hang in there, girlie - thanks for the update.