Monday, September 5, 2011

When it rains it pours

Oh, it was a rough night. Christian decided around 3 am that it was time to cry- and cry- and cry. Pacifier? - not having it. Feed him? - not hungry. Rocking him in the chair?- talk about back-arching. I'm still not sure what was wrong with him, but he finally fell asleep around 5. When he woke again at six, I got up to feed him, and thought the boys had turned the bath on and left it running. It took me a minute to realize in my groggy state that it was pouring in floods outside. We haven't had rain for so long that the sound of a good Southern rainstorm had grown foreign to me. I had to laugh, thinking about all the people who had been praying for rain and they got it- on Labor Day.

The other boys were waking about now, so I left Christian to play with them, told James to try and keep him happy, and stumbled back to bed, where I remained oblivious until 9! I haven't slept 'til 9 in forever, and I got that panicky feeling when I woke up, like- why is it so quiet? Where are my kids?
I threw on my glasses and found Christian all by himself on his bedroom floor, kind of fussy, but otherwise fine. I should have known where the other boys would be.

"Guess what mom- it's raining!"



"But mom, if I go outside, my feet might get wet."


"Mom- I couldn't find my rubber boots, so I used your garden clogs."


On Saturday, thanks to Moriah, I was able to get an early pick on a huge children's consignment sale, and found raincoats for all the boys. Talk about good timing. However, the only item I wasn't able to find on my list were rainboots for Seb and Etienne. It was hilarious to watch Seb put two and two together- looking at the holes in his Crocs and the two inch deep puddles in the back yard. He never did make it outside.
I had to laugh, but I was impressed too. They managed to find their coats and shoes and get them all zipped and ready to go without me. I wish I could say the same for their pants.


Hope everyone has a good (and dry) Labor Day!

2 comments:

Dolly said...

So fun to see everyone's 'rain stories'. Glad you guys got some finally and that no one floated away. Your boys are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

That picture of Seb is priceless!