Thursday, September 22, 2011

Overshooting the Mark

As most of you know, I really love to cook, but one of the main reasons I do is that it is therapeutic for me. For some reason, it helps my brain sort itself out after a busy day and strangely enough, when the kitchen is a complete disaster, starting a big meal is the best way for me to get things straightened out. Also, I am a really big fan of good food and no one else around here is going to make it for me.
All that to say, sometimes when I cook, I get carried away. Take tonight's quiche for example. Steve loves a good quiche (Say what you will about real men not eating it. I can only say that he is French, so therefore his taste in cooking is not to be contested.)
The boys like quiche as well if it is basic, (bacon and cheese) so I like to make it. Everyone happy, right?
The crust took me longer than usual seeing that in my haste, I managed to overturn my entire flour bin all over the pantry floor. That was a first, and hopefully a last.
Next I started frying the bacon, but then remembered I had bought an enormous bag of Costco onions that were starting to turn. So I sliced up a couple. Then digging through my veggie drawer, I came across some mushrooms that I had forgotten about. Score! Mushrooms and onions fried in the bacon grease. Mmmm. All this started to seem a little heavy to me, but then I remembered Steve's reminder that we needed to use up the Swiss Chard still growing in the garden. Something green is always good, right? I ran out to pick some, but had forgotten that it needs thorough cleaning, chopping, blanching and drying. A further pantry ramble revealed a jar of artichoke hearts just begging to be added.
At this point I realized it was getting late, the quiche wasn't even in the oven yet and the boys were hungry. Then I saw their poor pathetic faces as they looked at their dinner to be- full of funky green leaves and slimy mushrooms, onions and what not. Sometimes I forget what it was like to be a child, and how I would have gladly eaten Ramen noodles and bologna sandwiches for every meal.
I have this debate with myself often. Do I make my kids try something new, and fight them on every bite, or do I give them what I know they will like? I was merciful tonight both to myself and them. And in response to their dinner of hastily baked chicken nuggets, pears and cottage cheese, I was rewarded with a resounding chorus of "Oh mom, you're just the best cooker ever!"


What greater praise could I ask for?

Plus, there's more quiche for me!

No comments: