Saturday, March 14, 2009

Operation get rid of fidoo

It is time to dispense with "fidoo". Etienne calls his pacifier "fidoo", derived from the second half of the word and pronounced as he pronounces all words ending in er such as- "wadoo" for water, "stridoo" for Strider the dog, etc. He is my only pacifier dependent baby, and I do mean dependent.









He has always been quiet, but the paci increases this tendency. Now I am noticing, as he starts to talk more, that his fidoo is affecting his speech patterns, seeing as he is always trying to talk around a rubber stopper in his mouth. He is also getting bigger and stronger and chewing holes in the rubber so that they are always full of nasty spit, and I just throw them away. That leaves us with just a few, and I am constantly on the hunt for them which is annoying seeing as they are usually behind the crib or hiding in low, baby height places. Besides, I think he looks much cuter without it.


So my goal is to have him clean and sober by his second birthday, which is in just a couple of weeks. Any tips?

P.S. In looking through all these old photos, I noticed that it is also time to start thinking about James and his thumb sucking. And then there are the security blankets. Yikes. Well, one thing at a time.

8 comments:

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Tips? Just don't go searching for them once they're lost. And then if you do find one, toss it.

Nicole Lewin said...

well sure, throwing them away is easy, but what about the child's withdrawal?

Blaise Pascal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Cut the rubber part down every couple days so finally it is so short they have to hold it with their teeth - then they usually give it up.

Erika said...

Oh sad! He is cuter without one though. Can't believe he's almost 2! Yikes. I don't have any advice since I haven't had to do any of that before. :) But I can pray that it works out alright!

Hannah G said...

This is always a fun stage. :[ We always did a gradual removal of the pacifier--starting with daytime awake times, then banning it a naps, then finally taking it away at night. It took a couple of weeks with each kid, but it was surprisingly painless. The only thing I noticed was that it got a lot noisier around the house when the kid realized he had to do something (sing, talk, shout, scream) with his mouth instead of suck on a binky... Enjoy the challenge!

emilie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emilie said...

Hey Nicky... good luck with that. Claire is a thumb-sucker like James... it will be interesting to try to "get rid of" the thumb :)

So... remember that arrangement of Psalm 103 that you sang at Katie's wedding that I love? I know you already sent me copies of it, but I can't find them now. I have a new choir I need to teach it to. Do you have any more or do you know where I can find some??

Your blog is so cute :)
Love,
Emily