Friday, March 20, 2009

"I walked the dog!" (or the dog walked me)

It has been awhile since I have done a Strider post, but Moriah's post of yesterday reminded me that we actually have a dog who is sometimes worth writing about. James, my big boy who is finally taller than the dog, decided he was man enough to try and walk him today.
Now normally not even I feel man enough to walk the dog. He is huge, hairy, and incredibly strong. I have attempted it several times with the stroller only to have him knock me and the stroller down whenever a stray squirrel happens across the road. Therefore he gets neglected.
However, it was a very lovely day today, and I felt sorry for the poor beast. Every time we take a walk without Strider, he yelps and cries so loudly that I can hear him all the way to the park four blocks away, let alone the little field just across the street where he can see us the whole time. So I yielded to James's request.

He did really well, only getting pulled through the grass face first a few times. He quickly figured out that the only way to stop him was to sit down with his boots dug into the ground. It was just so funny to see skinny little James trying to get that monster to obey him. But I was proud of him. He never let go of the leash, much to the relief of several people walking close by. I don't know why, but people tend to get nervous around our gentle, man-eating dog.





1 comment:

Erika said...

Those are too cute! He looks like such a big boy even next to such a big dog.