Wednesday, March 14, 2012

When life gives you strawberries

So the local grocery store was selling strawberries at .79$ a box this week. I love strawberries, the kids love strawberries, and even more, I love cheap fruit. I bought a dozen boxes. This seemed like a lot, but we also love jam, so after gorging ourselves on fresh ones, I made what was left into some delicious strawberry, vanilla bean spread. But it only made three jars, and something in the back of my mind kept nagging me that I wouldn't be finding .79$ strawberries again any time soon. I checked the store flier, and it was the final day of the sale. Panic! Steve had the van and wouldn't be home until after they closed! I gave him a call and asked him, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, to swing by the store on his way home and grab a few more boxes. No big deal of course, but if he had the time you know. He came home an hour later, with this.



I was a little dumbfounded. I mean, 24 lbs of produce!!! This in addition to the twelve I had already purchased. And produce that rots perhaps more quickly than any other. Well, it was a challenge I accepted gladly.

This is a picture of my kitchen early this morning.



I called it 'still life with strawberries'.

This was my kitchen a few hours later.



It seemed to ask "Is it really worth it?".

This is my kitchen currently.



It says to me- "Fifteen jars of jam, 2 gallon bags of frozen berries for smoothies, 1 lovely bottle of strawberry syrup, a large pan of 'fruit leather', the remnants of some tasty strawberry lemonade we made for lunch, not to mention four pounds of fruit remaining to enjoy. I think you could say it was worth it."

Anybody got some shortcake? I'll bring the berries.

4 comments:

Jason and Gretchen said...

Strawberries are my favorite! Hilarious he brought home so many. :)

mon said...

I just had my first strawberries about two weeks ago...Eagerly awaiting when they will get cheap enough to buy a lot too...well probably not as much as you did! I bet you slept well that night... I ve got a wonderful recipe for a strawberry tiramisu from Mrs WElls if you are interested!=)

Erika said...

YUM!

Hannah G said...

Oh, Nicky, I love you. That strawberry vanilla bean spread sounds absolutely delightful—the perfect combination of Norwegian frugal and French gourmet. :)