Monday, March 28, 2011

Help! I'm surrounded!

I've been thinking of changing the name of this blog to Being Boys instead of Being Bilingual.
However, I suppose that being the lone female in this house and learning how to think like my boys and understand them is another form of bilinguistics. So I will leave the title alone for now, and focus on learning the language that will let me understand why they do what they do.
For instance, why did I come across a batch of pictures the boys had taken with my camera of their rear ends? I will give you a tame sample of one of these with the pants actually pulled up.
Why are they so fascinated with bodily functions and why does every mention of poopoo or peepee send them into hysterical laughter? I have tried scolding, reasoning,and appealing to their better natures as gentlemen to stop their constant references to these things but to no avail.
James has tried but then told me the other day that "He will try to stop saying the words, but in his heart he can't help laughing."
Or how do I respond to the following conversation between Steve and the boys.
Daddy- "You boys sure have good taste. It must be the European in you."
James and Etienne(sniggering)- "Haha, daddy said Peean."
Daddy(exasperated)- "No boys, not Peean, European."
Etienne(laughing still harder) "No dad, you're a peean"
I mean really, what do you do?

Or why do they love bugs? Why do they go out in the pouring rain and mud to dig for worms to feed to the tiny snake daddy found in the yard?

Why do they all insist on sleeping on the top mattress of their big bunk bed, and being wrapped up like "roly poly bugs" before going to sleep?


And what about Winnie the Pooh in a muddy stew?


or incessant wrestling and doggy piles?


Can I get an interpreter please? Steve just shrugs his shoulders and tells me they are boys, so get over it. But I am still trying to discover the gentlemen in them. It does appear occasionally in James. He loves to get me flowers or clean up his room to surprise me, and yesterday, when playing pirates he asked Etienne to stop with his wicked cackling because they were "Good pirates who love God." Maybe I am making some progress.

5 comments:

Leanne said...

i am hoping that some others with older boys have some input here, because I feel like I may be living your life here in WA, though I only have three boys. But seriously, why must they do the things they do?

Jonesey said...

I am right there with you. Yesterday after evening worship they were yelling MOM MOM Come in here! They were making sandwiches out of themselves and every pillow and cushion in our living room.

Hannah G said...

Hahahahaha! (That was sympathetic laughter, in case you couldn't tell.) I can only imagine how much weirder this must be for you, who grew up with all sisters. I, on the other hand, never had a sister. And now having one husband and five sons, I think it's pretty clear that God meant for me to spend most of my time in the company of the opposite sex.

I hear moms of girls talk about the emotional drama they've gone through with their little daughters (and hormonal drama with their older ones), and I thank God from the bottom of my heart that I don't have to deal with any of that. Whew! God obviously knew that my soul is better equipped to handle bugs, wrestling, and potty humor than glitter, princess parties and emotional roller coasters dressed in pink.

And hey, there is now no need to worry about the family name dying out! ;)

Anonymous said...

My boys always lost it on the Chief end of Man catechism........and what DU-TY God requires of man. Pretty ridiculous. =}

diber said...

@ Bree---laughing so hard at that one!!

Having two boys and a hubby... right there with ya.

What is it about blankets and pillows!!! And wrestling!!! Those are the things that drive me most crazy. I do not like to leapt upon as I innocently walk by the couch.