Monday, May 18, 2009

Birthday Pudding

So I am not a big cake fan. Well, really, I am not a big dessert fan- sweets just aren't my temptation (give me a big greasy cheeseburger any day). If I have to eat dessert, I prefer dark chocolate to anything else. I think I get that from my mother. I have memories of her coming up to tuck us in bed with the smell of chocolate chips on her breath. I think that must have been her end of the day splurge- a handful of dark chocolate.
At any rate, for my birthday dessert I opted for this super yummy, super easy dark chocolate pudding that I found in a magazine once. I have given this recipe to some friends already, but I thought I would share it again here.

Dark Chocolate Pudding

whisk together in a medium saucepan-
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder (If you haven't tried the Special Dark powder, you haven't lived)
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons of corn starch.

gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of whole milk (or less fatty version if you are on a diet. Obviously, the more fat, the better) until a thick paste forms.
Over medium heat, slowly whisk in 1 1/3 cups more of milk and 1/3 cup of whipping cream if so desired. Either way, the total dairy should equal 2 cups.
Let this thicken until bubbly, about five minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in four ounces of dark chocolate (chocolate chips or fancy candy bar, your choice) and 1 tsp vanilla.

Now here comes the fun part. You can eat it as is, or kick it up a notch. We added a generous splash of Kahlua, but Bailey's is fantastic too, or Grand Marnier or any other liquor of choice. If liquor isn't your thing, mint extract is excellent, or any other flavor that goes with chocolate.

to chill it, just cover it with plastic wrap right on the surface, to avoid that yucky pudding skin. We prefer to eat it warm, right out of the pan. This also makes a great pie filling. I must warn you though- kids make a mess of it.



When I asked James why he was deliberately smearing it all over his face, he said he just wanted to look like daddy. (Steve's current facial motif is a rather unkempt goatee)



Oh, and this last picture is my birthday present from my mom.
It is a smocking pleater. I tried my hand at smocking a dress for my latest niece, but it took forever to do by hand. So, since I have no daughters to smock for, send your orders in. I need to make some cute dresses for somebody.

5 comments:

Dolly said...

I LOVE that pudding recipe! I've made it so many times. I think you must have posted it on our poor dead cooking blog. The pleater is just awesome! I've smocked one dress and I have another just languishing away in my sewing box. I should send it to you to finish!! I'll send you dark chocolate for payment!!

Erika said...

My Mom makes Christening gowns, for boys and girls. I already got mine...it's so nice. The one time my son gets to wear a dress!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

UM, HELLO???? You can make dresses for the two girls right down the street and even be able to see your handiwork in action. :)

I'll send Madeline over to model, asap.

emilie said...

Dear Nicky, I am officially sending my order in! :) Just kidding... I am sure you are keeping plenty busy. Happy Birthday!!!
Love,
Emily

Jonesey said...

I will be trying to make pudding now. Where do you get said cocoa powder? I think I have looked for it after you mentioned it before but I don't remember finding it at the dang bi-lo where I shop.

Also, I love your smocker :) The Amanda-Jane? what a great name. I would love to learn that, and having had no girls until now I had no ambition for such a thing, but now I'd like to get some dressmaking skillz.